When you enjoy the benefits of United States citizenship or lawful permanent residency, it is only natural that you should want to extend those advantages to your loved ones. U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents both have the ability to sponsor certain types of family members for green cards.
However, the United States immigration system can be extremely overwhelming and difficult to navigate.
Reuniting your family in the U.S. can be a complex, time-consuming, and arduous process. Our Orlando family visa lawyers at Angel Law Firm, PL can work to get your loved ones the visas they need as efficiently as possible.
We have an extensive knowledge of how to effectively navigate the U.S. immigration system and will do everything possible to help you and your family achieve your American dream.
The Difference Between Immediate Relatives and Family Preference Relatives
United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) organizes family visas into 2 categories. Whether your loved one is considered an “immediate relative” or a “family preference relative” will depend on your status and impact the timeline of obtaining their visa.
Immediate Relatives Meaning
According to immigration law an immediate relative includes the following family members:
- A spouse of a U.S. citizen
- A parent of a U.S. citizen who is over the age of 21
- An unmarried child of a U.S. citizen who is under the age of 21
- Adopted children
There are no limits on the amount of immediate relative visas issued. This means you will experience no additional waiting period after your visa petition has been processed and cleared by USCIS.
Access to immediate relative sponsorships is a major advantage to permanent U.S. citizenship, as loved ones sponsored as immediate relatives will consequently almost always receive their visas faster than those of family preference relatives.
Family Preference Meaning
Family preference visas are open to both U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents. However, only a limited amount of family preference visas is issued each year, meaning your loved one will likely need to endure an additional waiting period until a visa slot becomes available.
The waiting period can last multiple years if the backlog is especially large. Note that lawful permanent residents can only sponsor their spouses, unmarried children under the age of 21, and adopted children.
If they wish to sponsor their parents, siblings, or adult children, they will need to wait until they are U.S. citizens. Additionally, there are limitations on what types of family members can be sponsored, even if you are a U.S. citizen. Aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, and grandchildren cannot be directly sponsored by a citizen or lawful permanent resident.
Why Choose Angel Law Firm for Your Family Law Needs
At Angel Law Firm, we understand that family law matters can be emotionally challenging and legally complex. Our team of experienced attorneys is dedicated to providing compassionate and effective legal representation to clients in Orlando. Here are a few reasons why you should choose us for your family law needs:
- Expertise and Experience: Our attorneys specialize in family law and have years of experience handling a wide range of cases, including divorce, child custody, adoption, and more. We stay up-to-date with the latest laws and regulations to ensure that our clients receive the best possible representation.
- Personalized Approach: We believe that every client is unique, and their legal needs require personalized attention. Our team takes the time to understand your specific situation and goals, tailoring our legal strategies to achieve the best outcome for you and your family.
- Strong Advocacy: We are dedicated advocates for our clients and will fight tirelessly to protect their rights and interests. Whether negotiating a settlement or representing you in court, we will work diligently to achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
- Compassionate Support: We understand the emotional toll that family law matters can take on individuals and families. Our team provides compassionate support and guidance throughout the legal process, helping you navigate through challenging times with empathy and understanding.
- Clear Communication: We believe in open and transparent communication with our clients. Our attorneys will keep you informed about the progress of your case, explain complex legal concepts in a clear and understandable manner, and promptly respond to any questions or concerns you may have.
Bilingual StaffOur staff provides legal services in both English and Spanish.
Personalized AttentionOur attorneys meet with clients as soon as they come to us and handle cases personally until they are resolved.
Tailored Solutions for Each ClientOur team is very detail-oriented and is dedicated to providing solutions fit to your unique case.
Long-Term PartnershipsMany of our happy clients start with one service but come back for assistance with other legal matters. When you work with us once, you can work with us for a lifetime.
Our attorneys and staff speak both English and Spanish. We will speak to you in whichever language you are most comfortable with to ensure smooth communication. Get in touch with us today to get started.